Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend Getaway

David and I spent a wonderful weekend ALONE in Gettysburg, leaving our kids at home with one of my good friends, Jeanne. We went out for a nice dinner on Friday as well as some shopping and then headed up to Gettysburg. It was amazing to be able to sleep in Saturday morning and just lounge around without a care in the world. The weather was absolutely beautiful so we spent some of the morning and early afternoon just wandering around the beautiful little town.

Saturday evening we took a horseback riding tour of the Gettysburg battlefield. What a great way to explore the land...I could envision how some of the soldiers must have felt, riding up to survey the land and prepare for the battle.



After the ride we had dinner at this little tavern behind the famous Farnsworth House. This house is one of the most recognized inns in America because of the over 100 bullet holes that can still be seen in its south wall, testimony to the massive destruction that raged all around the home during the battle. I just had to take a picture of it.

To end our day, we went on a walking Ghost Tour. The guide took us to several "hot spots" in the town of Gettysburg. At each spot we listened to the many stories, sightings, and hauntings that have taken place in this town. While we were at this one particular spot, "The Garden", our guide told us to not be surprised if weird things show up on the pictures we take. Evidently many people have discovered faces, strange colors, and all sorts of crazy things like that on their pictures. Well, later that evening as I reviewed our pictures from the day, I came across the pictures from "The Garden" and lo, and behold, there are all kinds of strange circles in my pictures. I showed David who wanted to scoff at first, thinking the spots had been on the outer lens, until he saw that the rest of the pictures I took that evening in other places produced nothing other than the picture. Check these out!


And now, a few minutes later...no spots!

Sunday morning we got to sleep in again - hurray! - and then we spent the rest of the morning at the new Gettysburg Visitors Center. It is truly amazing the collection that is housed there...it is almost overwhelming! I couldn't believe some of the things that people hung onto, like the stretcher that carried Stonewall Jackson when he was wounded (not all artifacts were strictly from the battle at Gettysburg).


Overall, it was such a wonderful weekend and I can't wait until David and I can get away again.

5 comments:

The Clark Family said...

How much fun! Weekends away are the best things ever. Those bullet holes are amazing, as are those circles. Creepy!

Catherine said...

I went on that horseback riding tour a couple years ago, glad to hear you had so much fun!

Jeanne Lawyer said...

No wonder you have been thinking about ghosts with those creepy circles. Very interesting. I am glad you were able to have such a nice time.

Sommer said...

How fun! You sure deserve a good weekend away. I love Gettysburg and the ghost tour sounds like so much fun! I love stuff like that. Looks like you captured some orbs, pretty cool!

Jared and Kelly said...

I'm glad you had such a great time... It must have been such a great getaway. And it makes you think what the WORLD would be like if the South had been successful!