Thursday, February 18, 2010

First Trip


I must admit that I have never really wanted to know how much blood results from a split lip but Tuesday night I found out. The kids were downstairs playing and all I heard was a bloodcurdling scream and Savannah shout, "Go get Mom right now!" I ran!
When I got to the basement I was greeted by Noah, his face covered in blood, blood dripping all down his clothes and onto the floor, his outreaching hands covered in blood, and Savannah explaining to me that Xander had hit Noah in the face with a baseball bat. (Good thing we don't have any aluminum bats; our problems might have been a whole lot worse!) I grabbed Noah and ran to the kitchen sink to see if I could figure out if he had a broken nose or some lost teeth or just what the heck was causing all this blood. After cleaning him up as quickly as I could, I was able to determine that he had a split bottom lip and a nice puncture wound on the top lip. Divine intervention happened next. As I struggled to decide if I could take care of it myself at home or if Noah needed some medical attention, my sister Heidi called. Normally in this kind of a situation I would never have answered the phone as I tended to my hurt child. My sister Heidi's husband is in medical school, however, and, since the whole family has been turning to him with our medical questions since before he was even accepted to medical school 4 years ago, I knew that he could direct me on the right path. His advice? Take him in which I did. Although the medical person who saw us decided against stitching and just used a steri-strip to hold the lip together (laziness on the doctor's part, according to my brother-in-law), I was just relieved to have everything taken care of. Noah was so good during the whole thing, impressing all the medical people who attended to him. Noah has now officially experienced his first emergency trip to the doctor and thank goodness it was only for a split lip.
His monster shirt looks even better now with real blood splotches on it.

10 comments:

Jonathan and Audra said...

How scary! What a champ though. He's getting so big!

HeavenlyHome said...

Oh, wow! That really looks nasty!! I can't believe how much better it looked last night!! The body is amazing...but that monster shirt comes pretty close!!!

BryanSchaeffer.blogspot.com said...

My poor baby Noah!! I hope that he's ok. I'm glad that Heidi called when she did and that Ryan was able to help. It sounds like Noah really handled the situation well. But I know that he's built pretty well and that he can be a tough little monkey. Give him a big hug from me!!

Catherine said...

Only a little boy would be smiling so much about blood on his t-shirt! So glad it wasn't anything worse!

The Clark Family said...

Poor Noah! I am so glad he is okay. It looks pretty good! Maybe the PA wasn't lazy, that is the hard part about trying to diagnos over the phone without seeing it. So sorry if you took an unneeded trip to the ER. But I am glad everything worked out!

Jared and Kelly said...

Poor little guy! I am glad he's ok. Please give him a hug from his Aunt Kelly. I hope that little Xander is ok? It isn't easy to be the one who hurt your little sibling, I'm sure. Give Xander a hug from us too!

Anonymous said...

I am sure that was quite the ordeal!!! I concur with your brother in law that it was laziness. They could have at least glued it!! Oh well. I am so glad he is okay! He must have been so brave!! When we have kids his age coming into the urgent care, they usually have to be held or tied down because of their screaming and kicking around! Good job Brave Noah!!

mom2beachbums said...

Poor little guy!! And congrats Tracie for making it nearly 3? years sans emergent care! I don't think I have that good of record with my 3 boys. I love that last pic too..he still has his sweet baby face!

Sommer said...

Wow I don't even know what I would have done in your shoes but I highly doubt I would have been as calm as you. Noah sure is a brave little guy!

shayla said...

What a cutie and a champ...even with a split lip! Those mom emergencies are the worst! Next time something splits open... superglue to the rescue if it's not his lip!