Sunday, July 31, 2011

Soccer Camp

The old saying - "Time flies when you're having fun" - is definitely true. The past two weeks of soccer camp for Savannah, Xander, and myself just flew by. Every day, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 - 2:30 we endured the horrific heat to improve our soccer skills and have some fun!
Daily warm ups for the kids before the drills began. Savannah and Xander were lucky - due to the heat the younger kids were outside for the first part of the morning but then spent the rest of the day inside. I, on the other hand, remained outside throughout the day doing drills or playing in the scrimmages with the teenagers. Despite the heat, I still loved every second!


On the day we focused on heading, Coach Bill decided that we would try and set a record of the most consecutive headers made by the North Bay Soccer Camp campers. Here are the kids all lined up, ready to head! If we had accomplished it, it would have been 36.

Thank goodness mine weren't the first to miss but both Savannah and Xander did struggle a bit. Eventually they were both on target.

A little soccer tennis!

Too funny - after Savannah's scrimmage team would make a goal, they would gather in a circle, raise their hands up together...

and then fall to the ground.

My kids (and all the other campers) absolutely love the coaches. They insist that I am their favorite but I know that my competition is pretty stiff. Savannah and Coach Potter. Right after I took this picture I insisted she give back his sunglasses; I had no interest in replacing $250 glasses if she ruined them!

Coach Paul is another favorite - he is so great with the kids and quite an amazing soccer player!

And then there's Coach Bill, the director of the camp. He is just so fabulous and does a tremendous job making this camp the most fun it can be for these kids. One morning he brought out his trumpet to play Happy Birthday to some of the campers; other mornings he played it to get them excited for the day. He is such a great guy!

Savannah with her buds!

Each week the kids participate in Jersey Day. The second week Savannah ended up being one of the finalists...

and won the whole thing! She won this fabulous jacket though she keeps insisting that it's not too big and totally acceptable to wear in 90 degree weather.

On Friday we had some 3 v 3 games; the campers not partcipating were there to cheer on their favorite team.

Xander even took a turn on the trumpet.

And Coach Bill got the wave going.

With two of my favorite campers. The one on the right with the USA jersey knew how much I like David Villa from Spain so he brought me his Villa jersey to wear for the big Campers/Coaches game.


I'm definitely in need of some rest and time to allow my body to heal. My list of injuries for the week include multiple bruises on knees, shins, and arms, a black toenail, and a sore jaw from when some kid headed my chin rather than the ball. But these past two weeks have been some of my favorite weeks of the year. I love spending time with my kids as well as the other amazing campers. So many of them were repeats from last year so our friendships and relationships even grew stronger this summer. I'm already looking forward to next year!

1 comments:

The Clark Family said...

Fun Fun soccer lady. You are braver than I. I refuse to exercise in hot weather. Looks like you had a great time though and I am dying to see you guys!