Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Little Bit of Craziness

Wednesday afternoon there was a drug bust at the house 3 doors down from us. The boys and I headed to the bus stop to pick up Savannah and I exchanged pleasantries with the neighbor (the target) who was sitting on his front porch smoking. By the time I got back, this neighbor was sitting on his front lawn wearing handcuffs while two policeman guarded him and other police were in and out of his house. And guess who ended up right in the middle when the bust took place? Our little Xander! Xander likes to ride his bike to and from the bus stop so he always beats us home. Apparently Xander was right in front of this neighbor's house when the masked undercover cops come running from the woods and unmarked cars to get this guy and others who were at his place. Xander had a front row seat to the cops pull their guns on this guy and order him down on the ground. I was about halfway down our street when I could see up ahead that my next door neighbor was holding onto Xander but I couldn't see what else was going on. Thank goodness she was out in front of her house when this all took place because she was able to let the police know that Xander did not belong to the house being raided and she called Xander to her. I asked Xander later if he had been scared when he saw the gun and the policemen...they were pretty scary all masked up. He said no and then with great animation told me how the policemen had yelled at the man, "Get down on the ground!" Knowing Xander, he probably thought this was the greatest thing. He wants to be a policeman when he grows up so now he has seen some major police work in action! And such timing for it - right when all the kids in the neighborhood are walkiing home from the bus stop.

10 comments:

BryanSchaeffer.blogspot.com said...

Wow, Tracie, that's quite the story! I am glad that Xander is okay and it even sounds like he kind of enjoyed observing all of that craziness! Anyways, I'm glad that you and your family are safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

It goes to show that bad things can happen anywhere!! That is super scary for you! I guess that Xander loving the excitement is better than him having bad dreams and being scared for the next few years of his life!!

HeavenlyHome said...

Woo-hoo! What a great week for XANDER! School and drug bust all in a matter of a few days!
Thanks for the free amusement! Sure wish there were pictures!!! hee, hee!

Poppy said...

Great timing on the police's part...it seems that they could have planned that a little better, that's pretty scary.

mom2beachbums said...

Xander is wise beyond his years!! Wow, I bet your heart was leaping out during this. Hope you all are OK and getting it out of your minds!

shayla said...

You must have had some anxiety watching this take place with Xander right there! Of course, he's not complaining:) What a fun adventure for him, and I guess some great lessons probably came about when you talked to him about it!

Lenae said...

Criminy! that IS crazy. My Alex would have loved it too. . . but it doesn't give Mom the warm fuzzies.

The Clark Family said...

That is craziness. And I bet it was the same house we were talking about when I was out there, right? At least maybe that gets rid of those neighbors! And Xander is hilarious! But I am glad everything turned out ok and he didn't get hauled off in a police car!

Sommer said...

That is every little boys dream!!!! Wow that is insane that that happened, you must have been freaking out!!!! I know I would have been.

Jared and Kelly said...

Well, at least you know the police are on top of crime going on in your neighborhood - though I'm quite surprised (like others) about the timing... well, you get them when you can get them, I guess, regardless of when kids come home from school. And I'm glad that Xander trusts police officers. Otherwise, I think you'd have a kid with PTSD! Though outside of the scariness of having your kids involved, were YOU impressed with the officers?