Thursday, February 19, 2009

Americans Love Ice Cream!

My father-in-law sent me the following email:

We are worried about "the cow" when it is all about the "Ice Cream"

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade this year. The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote.
To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those,Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot.
The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother.
The day arrived when they were to make their speeches. Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Every one applauded. He sat down and Olivia came to the podium.
Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She sat down. The class went wild.
"Yes! Yes! We want ice cream."
She surely would say more. She did not have to. A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it. She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream. Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a landslide.
Every time Barack Obama opens his mouth he offers ice cream, fifty percent of the people react like nine year olds. They want ice cream. The other fifty percent know they're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess.

I loved this because I feel that it is so true. When Obama became president, David and I decided that we were truly going to give him a chance to prove himself. It's true that we do not agree with the majority of what comes out of his mouth but hey, maybe once the mantel of the US Presidency fell on his shoulders, he would change his mind on some things. Well, after almost 2 months he has done absolutely nothing to change my mind about him. I also find it funny (not ha-ha funny) that there are people who voted for him that are actually surprised about some of the things that he is doing. My dad mentioned to me that a lot of the Catholics at the high school where my mom teaches, who voted for Obama, are outraged that he is actually talking about signing the Freedom of Choice Act. Hello!!!! The man is one of the most liberal politicians when it comes to the issue of abortion...how did they not know that? Didn't they listen as he promised Planned Parenthood that signing FOCA was the first act he would do as President? David said that people didn't pay attention to his pro-abortion views because it was not a campaign issue like it was 4 years ago. Isn't it a shame that the death of millions of unborn babies each year is not always a major campaign issue. I am truly saddened that any pro-lifer voted for Barrack Obama. And where did Mr. Hope and Optimism go? Since coming into office, all I hear from President Obama is doom and gloom for this country. At least President Obama is dishing out the ice cream he promised us...too bad it's a huge serving of Rocky Road!

3 comments:

HeavenlyHome said...

Well said! Oops, I have to go clean up after the cow again...

mom2beachbums said...

I couldn't agree more with you and I LOVED the ice cream relation. Thanks so much for posting!!

The Clark Family said...

Well, you know how I feel. We have to laugh otherwise we would just cry. Isn't it crazy how he has changed so much so quickly. Remind you of anyone. As Glen Beck said, "Hello comrades! The war on the western front is going very well!"