Monday, February 2, 2009

The Senses

I always laugh when I hear women say that the only reason moms put their kids in preschool is to get a break from them. Well, is that such a bad thing? Ha-ha! Even though I don't find anything wrong with moms wanting a break from their kids from time to time (why do women keep insisting on trying to put down fellow women...come on, ladies, we all have our individual personalities as well as struggles), that is not the main reason why I put my own children in preschool. I value education above most things and want my children to develop a love and a thirst for knowledge. I think preschool not only provides children with wonderful social opportunities but also makes learning fun for them. They not only learn how to interact with other kids but with other adults as well which I think is extremely important. My kids have so enjoyed coming home from school and showing off the many crafts and projects that they have made. Xander's latest project is this cheerio rope he's showing off.

This project is part of their "The 5 Senses" unit. They put together these cheerios on a pipe cleaner which we then hung on our tree. When the birds come to eat the cheerios, they knock the rope and the bell at the bottom rings. Xander couldn't wait to hang it up and when we did, he started calling out, "Birdies! Birdies! Come eat some cheerios, birdies!" This is a perfect example of why I LOVE preschool for my kids. Xander had fun, learned something, and was proud of what he had made. Some moms are great at doing this kind of stuff with their kids at home; I'm just not which makes me even more grateful that I have this option for my kids.

3 comments:

Sommer said...

I really like you what you said and the points you made.

HeavenlyHome said...

Even we mommas who do keep our little ones at home still need all the help we can get!!! Great idea...guess what we're doing today...I need to go dig out the pipe cleaners!!

cyndee Richards said...

I love that Katie gets to go to preschool. I go get all my errands done and she has a super time learning and playing with her friends.