Sunday, December 18, 2011

Parable of the Ten Virgins

This past Wednesday I had the privilege of participating in The Ten Virgins musical program for our Relief Society December meeting. What a spiritually uplifting meeting it was!
"Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps and went forth to meet the bridegroom." (Matthew 25:1)

"And five of them were wise, and five were foolish." (v.2)
I was Malka, one of the foolish virgins, who, although I loved the unique design of the lamp the shopkeeper had made for me, didn't feel I needed to light it because I had "lived in the village for a long time and could see just fine in the dark".

While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept." (v.5)

"And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all the virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out." (v.6-8)

"And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage; and the door was shut." (v.10)
Thank goodness the only singing I did was with the whole group, a beautiful song called "When He Comes". I am so grateful that I got to be a part of this program and enjoy the company of such fine women who played the other virgins in the story. They all did such a fabulous job and the ones who had solos blew me away with their amazing musical talent.

After the program we got to enjoy the wedding cake!

This meeting has definitely led to much pondering and personal goal-setting in my life so that when the bridegroom comes I will not be like my character Malka, begging others for more oil, but will be ready to greet my Savior and go in with him.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

It was a beautiful program, you all did a great job!

Just Another Blog said...

I don't think I adequately told you how fantastic the program was... it really was fabulous!! I can't believe the talent in the ward and the way you made it all come together (although I know you wouldn't take all the credit) :) Great job and a big THANK YOU!

Sommer said...

It was life changing for me. I know it sounds dramatic but I seriously was. Thank you so much for all your hard work.