Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hey, It's Martin!

The other day Savannah saw a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. on our refrigerator and said, "Hey, it's Martin!" I didn't know who she was talking about at first because I'm not used to someone referring to him by just his first name. After she pointed out who she was talking about, I reviewed his full name with her and then I asked her why he was important. Her reply was, "He taught us that it doesn't matter if our skin is black or white." I was really proud of her for not only being able to recognize him but for knowing the important role he played in the history of this country. His name was able to produce a wonderful conversation between myself and my daughter about the struggles of our country, the importance of people, our differences, and how our Heavenly Father loves each and every one of us, no matter what we look like. Thank you, Dr. King; your legacy continues to inspire us.

1 comments:

The Clark Family said...

That is such a sweet story. Savannah is such a cutie. Tell her her auntie is proud and loves and misses her!