Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Rainy Friday

I remember when I was little that I used to love playing out in the rain. One day when I was in 4th or 5th grade my younger brother and sister and some of our friends stayed after school and played tether ball in the pouring rain. When one of the moms found us on the playground, she wasn't too thrilled...but we had so much fun. Playing soccer in the rain was another favorite of mine; it was so much easier to slide tackle with the rain muddying up the field for me. On Thursday, as the kids and I walked home from the bus stop, it started to drizzle and Savannah reacted as though she was being hit by great drops of acid. I thought that all kids just naturally enjoyed the rain like I had but obviously I was wrong. Maybe Savannah has watched "The Wizard of Oz" one too many times and thinks she will share the fate of the wicked witch if rain drops get on her. Somehow I just really need to toughen that little girl up! Thank goodness Xander seems to be fine with the rain and even asked if he could go out in it for a little while. I think it mainly had to do with the fact that he loves his Spiderman umbrella and just wanted to play with it some more.

Pirates 2 was the movie choice for Friday Movie Night. Xander dressed up in his Captain Jack Sparrow outfit for the occasion and was once again enthralled with the pirates. Davey Jones and his many tentacles was a big hit with the kids though Savannah was very upset that I would not let them watch any of the parts with the kraken; she had seen the kraken's huge tentacles on the cover of the DVD and kept insisting that it would be okay for them to watch. That was definitely one argument she just wasn't going to win. Hmmmm...I wonder why a huge sea monster devouring people and ships just didn't make my top ten movie scenes I want my children to watch. Once again, due to heavy editing on my part, the movie didn't last very long but just like the first, Captain Jack and the rest of his crew were a huge hit with my kids. All the way up to bed Xander could not stop talking about Davey Jones and the key hidden in his tentacles.


One of the kids' favorite parts of the movie was Will Turner, Gibbs, and the other pirates suspended in mid-air in the prison ball. When they all started rocking the prison back and forth, both Savannah and Xander started to laugh and kept laughing until Captain Jack and his men escape the island. I really wish I could have captured Xander's face on video as he watched this movie...his facial expressions were priceless! He sure loves those pirates!

1 comments:

The Clark Family said...

Okay, cutest picture of Xander ever with that umbrella! And the kids are so cute watching Pirates. I love that you capture all of these great moments and I can share in them!