Monday, June 16, 2008

Glenn Beck Summer Tour


Two years ago I was vacationing with my family and we happened to be watching the news, trying to get an update on the killing of Icky Terrorist #1, al-Zarqawi. We were watching CNN, a channel I avoid like brussell sprouts (I can't really use the phrase "avoid like the plague" because, really, where in America do you find the plague these days?). Anyway, getting back on track, I hate CNN but since it was the only news channel available, I was watching it. I was actually enjoying the show we were watching of some crazy, funny guy showing Americans on the street a cake decorated on top with the outline of a dead body. He was having random people celebrate the death of this terrorist by slicing the cake exactly where the head was. It was pretty funny! So I turned to my family members to ask who this guy was. They looked at me in disbelief and said, "This is Glenn Beck. Haven't you ever listened to him?" Up until that point I hadn't but I now regularly tune in to him. He is one of my favorite talk radio personalities so I was so excited to learn that he was coming to Pennsylvania as part of his summer tour. Last Tuesday night my good friends, Ben and Jeanne Lawyer, also Glenn Beck fans,and I headed up to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to catch his live show. The journey there itself was quite an adventure: an amazing thunderstorm (only in the East and Midwest are there storms like this), wrong directions by Map quest, a trying-to-be-helpful-local who gave us directions a page and a half long, and arriving 15 minutes late. Oh, well...we got there and Glenn was fabulous! One of my favorite remarks he made was, "Did you ever think when you bought these tickets that the cost of the ticket would be less than the cost of the gas that got you here?" Oh, so true, especially for us who drove from Baltimore. I just love listening to Glenn and watching his body language and facial expressions. He knocked on Barack Obama for a bit which was hilarious. I'm still having a hard time believing that so many people in this country think he's qualified to run the most powerful nation in the world after only two years in the Senate. In any other business or company, two years on the job is NOTHING!!! Most top professionals spend a lot more time working their way up the ladder and here he is, after only two years. Anyway, Glenn spent a lot of time speaking as if he were a presidential candidate and he had a lot of great ideas. (I won't list them now...you can check out his show for his ideas and opinions.) He ended his show by commenting on how great a country we live in and the opportunities still available and only available in this great nation. One of the things I love best about Glenn is his patriotism and his belief in God and he's not afraid to express those beliefs. I had a great night and am so glad that we got to go.

Here I am with Ben and Jeanne. What a great time we had together. I'm so glad that I have friends like Jeanne who are actually interested in politics! We have some really great discussions.

The only bummer of the night for me was that Glenn didn't do a book signing. I had brought my book just in case. By the way, if you haven't had a chance to read it you should. It's really great. You can tell how great a guy Glenn Beck is because on the back of his book he has quotes from all the people who hate him. Who else does that? He's hilarious!

2 comments:

shayla said...

LUCKY!!!! I love Glenn Beck...he's hosting the Stadium of Fire this year...I would actually stay in UT just for that IF I could get tickets--it's been sold out since the first minute it was released. Maybe he should run for Mitt Romney's VP in 4 years...they'd have my vote for sure!

Sommer said...

How fun for you guys! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!