Sunday, June 13, 2010

Herb Tasting


We had another fun Keepers meeting on Friday night - Herb tasting! One of the moms in our group has a truly fantastic garden, including lots of different herbs. We all went around feeling and tasting the variety of herbs in the garden: lemon balm, lavender, licorice, cilantro, rosemary, and many more.


After identifying all the different herbs, we headed inside for a lesson by one of the mom of the many medicinal uses of herbs. It was a really good lesson and I learned a lot! Next we headed back outside for the girls to plant their own potted herb garden. We were supposed to have grown one herb these past few weeks and then bring it to share with the others. Savannah's herb was cilantro but our efforts didn't turn out as we would have liked. We got about 2 little plants, definitely not enough to share with everyone. Thank goodness Sister Uhlig came to our rescue and had plenty to share from her own garden.

We finished up with dessert - ice cream topped with a mint leaf - and then handed out awards. It's our last Keepers meeting until September but Savannah is already planning on spending quite a few summer days working on earning more Keepers awards.

5 comments:

The Clark Family said...

How fun. I think I would love a garden, even with all the traumatizing memories of our youth involving gardens. I love cilantro too, good choice! See you tomorrow!

HeavenlyHome said...

i think I can still smell the rosemary on my fingers......
Enjoy your exciting week with your family!

Catherine said...

Hmmmm, I might need a lesson in herbs!

Dawn said...

I want to be a little Keeper! (Or at least have a daughter who is a little keeper.) *sniff*

Sommer said...

I want to be a Keeper too! I love all the things you do, what a wonderful program!