Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My GWTW Collection Display

I was 13 years old the first time I saw "Gone With the Wind" and I was absolutely mesmerized. I loved Rhett Butler played by Clark Gable and thought Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara was one of the most beautiful and talented actresses I had ever seen. A couple weeks after I saw the movie I came across an advertisement for a new series of collector's plates for "Gone With the Wind". I knew that I just had to have these plates! So, with allowance money as well as babysitting money, I purchased every single plate at about $35 a plate (there were 12 in all - a pretty hefty price for a 13 year old)...and thus my collection began. Since that time my collection has grown to include figurines, music boxes, more plates, dolls, snow globes, and anything else related to GWTW. Yes, I am obsessed! I even wanted to name my daughter Vivien Leigh but David nixed that...I still got Leigh for her middle name, though.

A couple of months ago, I noticed a sign at our local library asking for people to display their collections at the library. Due to lack of space in our townhouse, my collection has remained in storage for the past 4 years. This gave me the perfect excuse to get some of my pieces out, dust them off and show them off. Every time I walked in the library I just loved seeing my beautiful GWTW items in the display cases. Two days before I had to take my collection down, I ran into a friend of mine at the library and she was sweet enough to take some pictures of me in front of my things. Okay, so yes, I'm a total nerd when it comes to GWTW but hey, it's one of my passions!

5 comments:

Jeanne Lawyer said...

Oh I am SO glad you posted these. I never had a chance to make it over the library before I left and I really wanted to see what you had. I can't see everything granted but I get the idea. I never knew it was such a collection. You ARE a nerd. However, I still love you.

HeavenlyHome said...

Sign me up for the nerd club.....!

Sommer said...

you are so not a nerd! I love your collection, it is beautiful!!!!

The Clark Family said...

Tracie, that is so cool! I love all of your stuff, it is so neat. Sorry I have been so lax in commenting but I loved all of your posts! McKenna had the same talk on Sunday as Xander, isn't that funny? The only thing is that we forgot and didn't go to church because of my illness. Aren't we the best? And I can't believe the snow. You better come here soon and thaw out!

Jared and Kelly said...

Tracie - that's the coolest thing in the world!!! I'm so glad someone got pictures with you in them. I think you've left most of us wishing we had something like that to display!