Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Little Historian

Savannah has always loved stories...stories from my childhood, the day David and I got married, the day she was born, how Grandpa got his huge scar, etc. I should have known with this love of stories that she would show an interest in history. Could I be more excited? This is right up my alley! After President's Day she came home regaling us all with stories of Abraham Lincoln; she was especially interested in his assassination and asked David and I for specific details. Okay, a little morbid but she was obviously enthralled. We have a book in our bookcase about John Wilkes Booth that she pulled out and looked through though unfortunately for her there weren't that many pictures. Later that night on The History Channel there was a program about the assassination so I DVRed it thinking I could show some parts to Savannah. Well, the next day I told her about it and she insisted on watching it right away...and she watched the whole 2 hours! Every once in awhile she would turn to me and report little facts that she was learning. I was amazed and so excited that she is finding history exciting and wonderful. Her newest interest is Harriet Tubman so I went to Barnes and Noble the other day to get Savannah a book about her. She has been carrying it around for the past few days and even took it to school for her "Share Time". I am so proud of my little historian!

3 comments:

Sommer said...

wow that is pretty impressive!!!

BryanSchaeffer.blogspot.com said...

Well, I'm glad that Savannah is developing such a keen interest in history. That's just really cool and important, in my humble opinion. Say hi to everyone for me!

Jared and Kelly said...

Well, she is definitely her mother's daughter, huh? Many reasons to be proud of that beautiful little girl...