Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Employment Update

Two weeks ago David accepted a job offer from Sears to be the district manager of their auto centers here in Baltimore. So, on Monday, which would have marked 3 months since he was laid off, David headed off to his new job. This job will be very similar to his job with Goodyear which is a plus since he really loved that job. Although I was upset at first (I really saw this as an opportunity for us to get to Cincinnati or back to Salt Lake), we both felt really good about accepting the job and staying here. I have really loved living in Baltimore especially because of all the wonderful friends we have made here. It has been friends and family who have helped sustain us emotionally through this trial in our lives. There were so many times over the past 3 months where someone would call or show up just when I really needed support the most. There were a couple days right in a row that were really rough for me and then 3 of my friends showed up, surprising me with lunch. Sitting around the table, talking with them, lifted my spirits tremendously. Another day a friend of mine, who has been suffering herself from the loss of her newborn, took me to lunch and we ate and talked for 3 hours...definitely therapeutic! Another friend called me up one afternoon saying that I had been on her mind and that she needed to call me. So she did. By her following the promptings of the Spirit she was able to make me feel so loved and definitely brightened my day. That is definitely one of the lessons I will take from this trial: do not wait around for someone to ask for something or say they need something; think of something to do for them and do it! I am so grateful to my friends and family who have been there for us.
I am extremely happy that David is employed once again but I must admit that it was pretty hard to watch him walk out that door Monday morning. These past few days have been such an adjustment for me; I'm sad that my babe isn't with me during the day anymore. We both agree that despite the stress and worry of unemployment hanging over us, the past 3 months have been a special time in our lives. We have spent so much quality time together and the kids have enjoyed all the extra time with their dad. It always surprises me the blessings that are still present despite the difficult trials we go through in life; we just need to open our eyes and there they are. God is good.

7 comments:

mary said...

I had no idea what you guys were going through. Congrats on the new job! That is exciting!!!!

shayla said...

Tracie, and don't forget that you have also been that special friend in other's lives... like mine! I'm so happy for you guys! I know what you mean about everything you've written...how grateful I am for a merciful Heavenly Father. And HOORAY for David's new job!

Anonymous said...

Tracie,
I just admire your strength and wisdom. Though I know how difficult this was for your family, you guys were all able to learn from it, lean on the Lord, and have some nice family time. It is wonderful to step back from a situation good or bad and see what pros and cons you encountered in the experience. You guys are always in our prayers, and we truly hope that David likes this new job!! Congratulations!!

Catherine said...

I'm glad you didn't move to Cincinnati or SLC!!!
Yea for the new job, I hope he likes it! Now maybe I'll see you at card class or ice skating or something!

Catherine said...

I'm glad you didn't move to Cincinnati or SLC!!!
Yea for the new job, I hope he likes it! Now maybe I'll see you at card class or ice skating or something!

mom2beachbums said...

I'm so happy to hear this!! I am sure your Marylander friends are happy it worked out for you to stay put! Congratulations!

Dawn said...

Hi Tracie, I just refound your blog. I had no idea David was out of work. I'm happy to hear you had some support. I'm happy you aren't moving. We don't see each other very often but I enjoy your company when I do see you. I hope David likes his new job.