Wednesday, March 3, 2010

We Love Our Soldiers

On Sunday Savannah's Keepers group had the great opportunity to sing for our LDS soldiers in their sacrament meeting on base. The girls sang two musical numbers, "Walk Tall" which is their Keepers theme song and "I Am A Child of God". Although there were only 8 or 9 soldiers in attendance, the girls were very nervous as they headed up to the front of the classroom to sing. The soldiers were decked out in their camo-wear which I'm sure was a little intimidating to the girls as well as the fact that they were all these big, macho looking guys. One of the moms had gone up to the front with the girls to lead them so I was able to remain in the back and enjoy looking at our cute girls. I kept smiling at them and encouraged them to smile as well. They had made it through their first number and had just started on the second song when I first noticed one of the soldiers wiping his eyes. I started looking at the other soldiers and, although I could only see the backs of their heads, I suddenly noticed another soldier, head bent, hand over his eyes, his shoulders shaking; another soldier and then another, wiping the tears away. My own tears started coming as I finally opened my eyes and paid attention to how the girls and their songs were affecting these men, these brave soldiers far away from home and family. What a tremendous sacrifice they are making for all of us and I was so proud of our girls for trying to give something back by sharing their sweet spirits and singing voices with these men. The soldiers were obviously very affected by the spirit Savannah and her friends had brought to the meeting. I wish that I had had my camera to take a picture of this Keepers moment. The girls got to meet the soldiers when sacrament meeting was over and thank them for their service to our country. The soldiers in turn thanked the girls for singing for them. This truly was a wonderful experience for us all!

5 comments:

HeavenlyHome said...

going for the kleenex....you seem to do that to me!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, spiritual moment for these girls!

Catherine said...

What a great idea someone had! I love doing extra little things for our soldiers!

Jared and Kelly said...

Well, you KNOW I was crying when I read this blog! What a wonderful experience that Savannah can remember the rest of her life. We have so many bases nearby - I wonder if anyone in my ward has had the idea to do something like that?

The Clark Family said...

What an amazing experience. These men need to be revered and honored for putting their country and the people ahead of themselves. And those girls did indeed honor them and what a great lesson. Thanks for sharing.