Monday, April 26, 2010

Nature Field Trip

Friday morning Xander and I headed off to a local nature center for his very last preschool field trip. First stop? The nature center itself to look at all the stuffed animals, dried bugs, and live turtles and snakes.

One of the guys who works there talked to the kids about different animals and then brought out a live snake for the kids to look at as well as pet.


The second stop was the nearby pond to poke around in the muck and mud to see what kinds of critters the kids could pull out. Xander really loved the boots!


The toad tadpole was a huge hit with all the kids!

And Xander pulled out a ton of little snails.

After the pond we headed off for a little hike to look at beaver dams, skunk cabbage (which totally reeked!), and trees with woodpecker holes. It was such a beautiful day, perfect weather to spend a morning appreciating nature.

5 comments:

BryanSchaeffer.blogspot.com said...

That looks like great fun Tracie! I know that my sisters aren't really big into nature, but I say well done! Way to teach your kids that nature is cool so that they can appreciate it. It looks like Xander had fun! Now if you could just wash that stank off!Ha-ha, just kidding!

The Clark Family said...

How fun! Xander is so cute and I am glad that you got to go with him. It is always fun to attend field trips with your kids. We miss you and can't wait to see you. Not too long now!

HeavenlyHome said...

That tadpole is HUGE!!! Never seen anything like it...I must ahve missed the pre-school field trip!

Catherine said...

Sounds like a perfect field trip for a little boy! That tadpole was huge, I've never seen one up close like that.

Jared and Kelly said...

Okay, first - I can't believe you managed to stay in the room with that snake long enough to take pictures!! And second, I agree with a couple other comments - what in the world kind of tadpole was THAT?!!! We looked at tadpoles when I was in elementary school, and um, they were like 1/50 of the size of that thing! I'm so glad Xander had a good time. Once again, you always manage to do really cool stuff with your kids!