Friday, April 2, 2010

Passover


On Thursday night we celebrated Passover just as our Savior did the last Thursday of His mortal life. I turned to one of my wonderful friends this year for some helpful hints and advice. (Last year was fun but this year I wanted to step it up a notch!) Catherine lent me her file filled with ideas, activities, recipes, talks, coloring pages, etc. which helped tremendously. The kids are still lacking a bit of the attention span to do some of the activities I wanted to do so I decided to keep it short and simple.
I hung some pictures of our Savior and the Last Supper around the room so the kids could visualize what the room and men would have looked like. David also read about the Last Supper from the scriptures.

We know that the Passover meal of the Last Supper included at least three symbolic foods and a drink which I had gathered together so the kids could sample them. We talked about each one and what it symbolized. I had attempted to make some unleavened bread and, even though I was a tad disappointed in how it turned out, the kids actually seemed to like it. We also had grape juice, haroset, and bitter herbs. I'm not a huge fan of lamb so we hung up a picture of one as a replacement.

The bitter herbs were a bit too "bitter" for Noah...he had to take a huge swig of his grape juice to get over the taste! I wish I could have had the camera ready for his face while tasting - it was priceless!

After sampling the symbolic foods, we all feasted on foods that Jesus and his Apostles might have eaten. We had fish, rice, olives, cheeses, and even some figs and dates (though no one seemed real fond of those). We also talked about the Garden of Gethsemane and the Atonement, David and I bearing our testimonies of the Savior and his great love for each of us. It was a wonderful evening and I hope that the kids remember not only sitting on the floor eating dinner but the things we talked about.

6 comments:

HeavenlyHome said...

OOOOhhhhhh...what a lovely way to commemorate the events of the day! Don't worry, those kids will remember!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I never had celebrated passover before, but what a spiritual way to get ready for Easter day!

Sommer said...

Oh I love it, all of it!!! I'm totally going to have to steal this idea for next year... the only problem is I hope I remember. I'm not used to celebrating passover which is kind of a shame. I love all the activities and ideas you did, and I know it sounds crazy, but I felt the spirit as I read your post and how you had pictures, and bore your testimony. Way to go Tracie. I loved the picture of Noah drinking his grape juice. His face was priceless, if it was that good while drinking the juice I wish I could have seen it when he was eating the bitter herbs.

mary said...

So fun! My kids love passover-it's all about the juice! Cute pictures!

The Clark Family said...

I just so love this idea! Remind me next year so that I can make sure and do it. It is such a great way to get ready for Easter and to focus on what is really important.

shayla said...

I love it that you did this, Tracie! I'll have to bookmark it for next year.