Sunday, December 16, 2007

Temple Lights




The nativity with Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus.

The new star guiding all to the birthplace of the Savior.

There was a forecast of freezing rain and snow but we decided to head down to the DC temple anyway to look at the beautiful Christmas lights. We missed last year so we were determined to make it this year and we're so glad we did. As we came over the hill on the freeway, the DC temple appeared, looking like it was suspended in mid-air! Savannah said, "Look at all of the cars, heading to the temple." I knew that she was referring to all of the cars on the freeway and I really wish that her statement had been true; I know first-hand the joy and peace that can be found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. What a wonderful experience we had, to be there with all of the beautiful lights and the gorgeous temple! Although it was cold outside it wasn't unbearable and we were able to spend some time wandering the temple grounds, looking at all of the many lights without a hint of rain or snow. There was a beautiful nativity display in the Visitors Center with nativities from all over the world as well as a live nativity outside which brought tears to my eyes as we watched the reenactment of that glorious night in Bethlehem. It is always so wonderful to be on temple grounds; one can feel so strongly the love our Heavenly Father has for all of us.



I love how you can see the statue of Christ through the window.

My favorite picture of the night. There is no place I'd rather be with my family than at the temple, a symbol testifying to the truth of eternal families.

3 comments:

The Clark Family said...

I know I already talked to you about these but the pictures are so pretty! I wish we could have gone with you. Sometimes when I am looking at your blog I get sad that we don't live closer so that we can do all of these fun things together....On that note, see you in 6 days!!!

jenn and flay said...

I love those pictures of the DC temple. It will always be my favorite and I have the best memories of going to see the lights there as a kid.

Unknown said...

i loooove the last one. it's awesome. i got your christmas picture card thing. very cute : )