Wednesday, July 23, 2008

China

China was the country we studied last week and it was as much fun to learn about as Egypt had been. The first day we watched a travel DVD which showed different places in China, one of which was this little restaurant in one of the villages. The tour lady was shown a table holding different edible items. She asked what the wiggling bag was and it happened to be a bag full of frogs. Right there on the video the Chinese guy takes out a live frog and then just slices it open. Then they brought out a snake for her and proceed to cut off its head. Both of these animals were made into a meal for her. Yeah, pretty gross! Savannah and Xander both said, "We don't want to eat that Chinese food." They're used to chicken lo mein and wantons...quite a difference! Anyway, after watching the video and looking at various books we did our normal routine of studying and crafts. We learned about the Chinese calendar and what Chinese year each child was born in: Savannah - horse, Xander - monkey (what a surprise!), me - ox, David - rat, and Noah - pig (no surprise there!) We studied some Chinese symbols, the panda bear, the emperor's clay army, and the Wall of China. The kids always enjoy coloring...


...we made paper lanterns...

...we made blossom trees with our fingerprints...


...we painted Chinese symbols on scrolls which was quite amusing (this is a picture of Savannah painting a panda bear first)...

...and Friday night we had our Chinese feast, minus the frog, snake, and dog. I thought about teaching the kids to cook a Chinese meal but the thought was only there for a second. We live about 10 minutes away from the best Chinese restaurant; why would I cook when I can buy from the experts? We hung up all the crafts the kids had made throughout the week for decoration and enjoyed our tasty food.

This week - Russia!

5 comments:

KD said...

Whenever I daydream about my future with my son (and hopefully his siblings) I imagine doing things along these lines. I taught preschool for a while and loved creating arts, crafts, activities etc. to go along with themes. It is cool to see someone actually taking the time and using the talent to make things like this happen for their kids! What an inspiration and a validation to my daydreams!

Catherine said...

Where did you get the food from? I would love to know where to get the best Chinese food!

The Moon Family said...

Hey guys, I am still learning the world of blogging, I am learning how to add comments and wording to my pictures. Now all I need is to make my blog look as good as everyone elses, How is that done!!! I will work on that. Hope your summer is good. Ours is busy as usual. We miss you.

The Clark Family said...

I think I am going to have to stop reading your blog. You make me feel like a really bad mother. Your kids are amazing, just like their mother. I love all of the cool stuff you did!

Pamela Anderson said...

Yeah...don't try to make chinese food. It's way too involved...Sounds like a fun week. Can you send my your lesson plans?