Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summer Education

I love the carefree days of summer...days filled with swimming, playing with friends, Popsicles, sleeping in, etc. The kids and I have really been enjoying this summer vacation. One thing I did not want to take a vacation from, however, was education. Savannah has continued working on her reading every day but I just wanted something a little more. So, the week after we got back from our family trip, I decided to put together weekly learning activities for the kids that would focus on a different country. Last week the kids learned about Egypt. We watched a couple of travel DVDs so the kids could see what Egypt looks like as well as see some of the ancient monuments and buildings that are there. We looked through lots of books where we learned about Pharaohs, the pyramids, the foods ancient Egyptians ate, animals that live there, the Nile River, and all that informational stuff. The kids also enjoyed doing some coloring pages.

One afternoon the kids and I made Egyptian items out of play dough and we all had to guess what the object was.

Here are Savannah's Queen Cleopatra and a pyramid.

I made a cobra and a crocodile.

And Xander made Yoda...no surprise there. We tried to explain to him that Yoda has absolutely NOTHING to do with Egypt but he was okay with that. Savannah told me that we should just pretend it was a Pharaoh.

Another afternoon the kids learned about Egyptian hieroglyphs and we made cartouches of their names. I helped Xander with his but Savannah did all the glyphs by herself and did an awesome job! We made them into huge necklaces for the kids to wear.

They also wrote out their names on pieces of paper and then decorated them with Egyptian pictures to hang in their rooms.

We also painted a huge Egypt banner.


I kept things really simple because I didn't want to overwhelm myself with preparation because, after all, it is summer. But we had a great time and I felt like the kids really enjoyed learning about Egypt. This week we're doing China and having just as much fun as last week.

9 comments:

The Clark Family said...

Go away, you make me sick.

The Clark Family said...

Ha Ha! Really though, you are unbelievable. Even though I knew you were doing this and actually thought about it(thought, no follow through, that is totally me!) you really are amazing. Well, for me, there is always next summer.....And by the way, that croc and cobra are amazing, my play dough skills are severely lacking!

Ben said...

Ok I agree, that is beyond amazing, simple shimple, that is really impressive. So when would you like me to drop Brandon off next week? Ha ha, just kidding, but seriously you are such an inpiration!

Ben said...

um I'm not sure why it says that it's Ben but just so you know, it's me..... Sommer.

Pamela Anderson said...

Now I really feel like a slacker. Maybe if we weren't in the middle of building a house and trying to move....

Tom, Cyndee and the girls said...

You're a great mom, Tracie! How fun for the kids. I put your address on our blog. I saw it on the Moons blog. I hope that is ok.

shayla said...

You could seriously start a summer school at your house. What an awesome mom you are! I bought workbooks and thought I was doing pretty good---sometimes I forget that I had an El Ed degree. You're super mom, seriously!

Sal Gal said...

Tracie,

That is sooo fun for your kids! You have always LOVED history and it is great that you are passing this on to them. It is a new adventure every week! I agree with your sister......the croc and cobra are amazing. It looks like you have had some playdough practice! Are you going to post the fun things you did while learning about China?

Jared and Kelly said...

So, I guess your talents are limitless. I also must comment on those playdough animals you made... though your daughter is so sharp! She must have really learned something to say that you should pretend Xander's Yoda was a pharaoh!