Sunday, February 3, 2008

President Hinckley

Saturday David and I watched President Hinckley's funeral and I must admit that it was really hard for me. I didn't think that I would get as emotional as I did but the tears would just not stop. Although I have now lived through 4 presidents of the church and can remember when each of them has passed away, President Hinckley's death has really hit me hard. Elder Tingey mentioned in his talk yesterday at the funeral that each member throughout the world probably has some special memory of this prophet. I have heard and read some pretty wonderful memories others have of our prophet and I do have one of my own as well. I never got to meet the prophet but I did have the privelege of attending a YW Broadcast at the Conference Center that President Hinckley attended. We were lucky enough to sit just a few rows back from the pulpit so I was able to see him close up. I was amazed then at how strongly I could feel the spirit testifying to me that this man truly was a propeht of God. I know that there are others who have had much more amazing experiences with him, such as shaking his hand or spending time with him, but that is my own special memory, one I will always treasure. The witness I received that day strengthened my testimony and I will never forget how I felt. I loved President Hinckley so much and was always amazed at the strength and stamina he displayed in carrying out the Lord's work. I am so grateful for all he did and will miss him tremendously.

I stole this picture from a friend's blog...I just love it!

"What is This Thing that Men Call Death"
Text by Gordon B. Hinckley

What is this thing that men call death,
This quiet passing in the night?
'Tis not the end but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.

O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.

There is no death, but only change,
With recompense for vict'ry won.
The gift of Him who loved all men,
The Son of God, the Holy One.

2 comments:

Jared and Kelly said...

I'm so glad that you posted the words. They are so beautiful. Though in mourning on this for the temporary separation of a man we honored and loved, it is comforting to know that he, who a few years ago grieved his physical separation from his wife, has returned to her once more, together to claim their infinite reward.

The Clark Family said...

I loved this post. I have been thinking of doing a post but decided to just write about it in my journal. But your post makes me want to do one. It was so moving and gave me such peace. Thank you!