Tuesday, March 18, 2008

St. Patrick's Day

Sunday night we prepared for St. Patrick's Day by making leprechaun traps. The kids were determined to catch those sneaky, silly little leprechauns and have them lead us to their pots of gold. Savannah and Xander made their traps nice and shiny to attract the leprechauns and also decorated the boxes with shamrock stickers.


Savannah, of course, left the leprechauns a note and some candy.


Our fat little shamrock baby.

Unfortunately, the traps did not work. We did not catch a single leprechaun though they did pay us a visit. They moved around some furniture, put pots on the stairs, and left some gold coins for the kids. Savannah found a little note under her trap that said, "You can't catch me" and Xander's note said, "Ha-ha-ha!" Those silly little leprechauns! The leprechauns might have outsmarted us this year but Savannah has big plans for catching them next year.

They put chairs on the table...

...and flipped over our couch.

Is there a leprechaun under here? (Savannah thought for sure there was...she was somewhat disappointed when we didn't catch any.)


In the evening we had our traditional Irish meal of corned beef and cabbage along with potatoes. It was very, very delicious! Afterwards, the kids got to watch "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" while they munched on shamrock sugar cookies. What a fun St. Patrick's Day!


My little leprechaun...Xander spent the day pretending he was a leprechaun, toppling furniture and pulling pillows onto the floor.

2 comments:

Principal Sal said...

I love the trap idea! We will have to try that next year. Those pesky leprechauns. In answer to your question, blarney powder that they leave is pistacio pudding mix. They take it out of the box and decorate the little pouch. The kids love it because when you add the milk it turns green. My kids think it sparkles like magic too! Oh the innocence of kids.

The Clark Family said...

What the freak Tracie! You are amazing. Ryan and I were just talking about you and how much we admire your creativity and all that you do with your kids. We are just not that good. You have to tell me these ideas ahead of time so that I can copy you. That is my lot in life, a copy cat! I am so sorry I haven't commented in forever but I love looking and tell Savannah she looks so beautiful. I love you guys, talk to you soon!