Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Grandma Gabe


Yesterday I received the phone call that I knew would come some time but I was still dreading all the same - my Grandma Gabe, my mom's mom, passed away yesterday morning. She was in her 90's and we all knew that it was just a matter of time but it is still hard to lose the ones you love. After I got off the phone with my dad, a flood of memories of my grandma came rushing into my mind. We grew up living close to her and my grandpa so there are so many holidays we spent together as well just being at grandma's. One memory that I especially love is when Heidi, Kelly, and I stayed with my grandparents while my parents were away on a trip. Grandma and Aunt Dena took us to Magic Mountain and we had such a great time. I remember being on one of the smaller roller coasters and looking behind me to see my grandma, sitting with either Heidi or Kelly, with her arms in the air, screaming with joy. There are so many fun memories like that of a grandma that I spent a lot of time with as I grew up. And there is my last memory of her...in October 2006 David and I went to Hawaii and decided to spend a night in LA so we could see my grandparents. I am so glad we took advantage of that because it was the last time I got to see her. It was only one night but that night she pulled out her high school year book for me and told me some really great stories. Although we will all miss her, I know that she is in a much better place and that there is a great reunion going on right now with members of her family that she hasn't seen in a long time. Love ya, Grandma!
My last visit with my grandma!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan and I want to express our condolences. It is always hard to lose the ones that you love. Your Grandma Gabe is in a better place, preparing the kingdom! Dan and I love ya!! Our prayers are with you, and Happy Birthday to dear Noah, there is a card on the way!!!

Queen Bee said...

Tracie, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing. Please give my love to the family and a big hug to your mom.

Debi Onken

The Clark Family said...

I love the post. Grandma was so sweet, I really miss her.

Sommer said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Tracie, but grateful for the knowledge that we know she is in a better place.