Saturday, October 25, 2008

Little Keepers at Home

Friday night Savannah and I attended our first meeting of Little Keepers at Home. A Christian woman started this program years ago to help young girls learn about our Savior, about being good Christian women, and about preparing to be a wife, take care of a home, and rear future children. The handbook Savannah received lists many basic skills to learn in the areas of Godly Girlhood, Basic Skills, Homemaking, and Nature. For each skill passed off, Savannah will receive a pin that will be displayed on her sash.
At this first meeting Savannah earned her Table Setting pin (an easy one for her since setting the table each night is one of her regular chores) and her Painting pin.

After each of the girls told us about the skills they had been working on this month and each had been awarded her pins, we learned about sewing and actually sewed on Savannah's patch to her sash. Well, we sewed on about half...it was hard work for both of us. I don't think I've picked up a needle and thread since my mom taught me how to sew on a button when I was in my early teens. I have a feeling I'm going to benefit from this program as much as Savannah will.


Both Savannah and I had such a great time with the other girls and their moms. Savannah is so excited to get working on some of the other skills and earn more pins. I'm excited to spend quality time with Savannah each month as well as help her set and achieve worthwhile goals.

3 comments:

Sommer said...

Wow I've never even heard of that but it sounds like a wonderful program!

HeavenlyHome said...

Ah, they are cute! This group is going to be such a blessing!

Jared and Kelly said...

That is so cool! What a neat thing for Savannah. Um...how is she looking so grown up and beautiful?