Friday, August 6, 2010

Excitement!


If you didn't watch any of the World Cup soccer games this summer, boy, did you miss out! For several weeks in June and July I was glued to the TV watching some of the most exciting soccer games I have ever seen. Of course I rooted for the USA and was so excited for their first match against England. I made some lunch for David and I and thought that we would eat together in front of the TV...but to my surprise David replied, "I'm not watching that game. I have absolutely NO interest in watching soccer." Yes, I was devastated but I headed off to our bedroom and cheered for our team by myself. But by the second game against Slovenia, David joined in watching the US team come back from a 2-0 deficit at the half to a 2-2 tie, cheering and clapping right along with me. And that game against Algeria? Well, to be perfectly honest, when Donovan scored that goal in the 91st minute of the game, tears came to my eyes!


When the US was defeated by Ghana my mother-in-law asked me if I was done watching the World Cup. My response? Heck no!!! But I did have to find a team to root for. Savannah decided she was going to cheer for Argentina but I wasn't too keen on them myself.

Some others tried to sell me on the merits of Germany but once again, I just wasn't into them. The team that eventually won my heart was Spain. I had watched almost every match of theirs and fell in love with their clean, pure game. Their passing was breathtaking to watch!
And the octopus? Amazing!


My favorite player? Villa!!!! He was a treat to watch!

Although I was extremely pleased to see Spain win the whole thing, I was so bummed that World Cup had come to an end. No sports until American football at the end of August...it can't come soon enough. I need my sports!!!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I think it's hilarious that you post pictures of soccer players on your blog - this being said by someone who doesn't watch soccer!

The Clark Family said...

The World Cup was amazing this year, Yay Spain!! It was fun getting to watch some of the games with you guys. We only have to wait another four years!!

BryanSchaeffer.blogspot.com said...

Viva Espana!! Pues, yo estaba tan emocionado cuando Espana gano su primera Copa Mundial! Que maravilla!! Well, I absolutely loved Spain from the get-go and watched every single one of their games. I would have loved to have been a member on that team. And now, we have to wait another four years!! Maybe I'll be in Brazil with mom and dad for the next World Cup (and be able to use the little Portuguese that I know!). Great post Tracie!