Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's #38 for David!

As one gets older, birthdays just don't seem to be that big of a deal. One still has to go to work and do all the mundane things that go on in our lives. But we still tried really hard to make the day special for David. It started with Savannah making breakfast for David all on her own - waffles with strawberries and whipped cream.

Unfortunately both Savannah and Xander have soccer practice on Monday nights, which just so happened to be the day David's birthday fell on, so he missed out on a special birthday dinner (though I did make it a few nights later plus we went out to eat with friends the next night). When we got home from soccer we had a fun family celebration with gifts and ice cream.

I always love seeing what the kids give as gifts...Savannah got him a little notebook to write notes in.



It's not easy buying gifts for David - if he wants something, he just gets it. So I always get the usual: some books, a movie, maybe a nice shirt or tie. But this year I had the best gift ever!!! When I was in the airport in Baltimore waiting to fly to Utah, I came walking out of the restroom and there in front of me was Jerry Rice, David's most favorite football player in the whole world. I mean, David gets choked up just thinking about Jerry and all the wonderful years he watched him play. I was brave and went up to him to get his autograph. Jerry just so happened to be flying to the Hall of Fame ceremony (who knew he would fly Southwest!) and signed his autograph ending with 2010 HOF. It was amazing to meet him and he was so, so nice. And can you believe it? I didn't have my camera on me. Oh, well, I got the autograph, ordered a nice picture, and had it all framed for David's birthday.


Xander drew David some pictures...

and Noah and Savannah ended the night's events with a song. Too cute!

Happy Birthday, Babe! You just keep getting better each year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday David! Sounds like you had a wonderful day!!!

BryanSchaeffer.blogspot.com said...

Happy Birthday David! I hope you had a great one! And Tracie, that timing for your gift was quite serendipitous, was it not? Amazing! I'm sure David really treasures that one!

Catherine said...

Isn't it so exciting to find a really great present?? Happy Birthday to David!

The Clark Family said...

David, you are such an old man. Just kidding, I just had to say something different than everyone else. That present was awesome. We love Jerry!

HeavenlyHome said...

Thanks for sharing some birthday fun with us! It was GREAT!