Friday, November 2, 2007

Pink Eye


Tuesday Savannah came home from school with some redness and swelling under her eye along with some discharge coming out of her eye. I asked her what had happened and she replied that she had picked at it the night before. I didn't think anything other than she had probably irritated it in some way. But by the next morning I was pretty sure that it was pink eye, especially when by midday her other eye was starting to ooze. I kept her home on Wednesday (Halloween) but still let her trick-or-treat (yes, we probably infected the whole neighborhood). Thank goodness I just called the doctor and they were willing to call in medication without me having to take her in. Savannah can be a little wimpy about some things and applying the medicine to her eyes has been a tough ordeal. She has cried and whined the whole time I'm trying to get her to hold still long enough for me to get the drops in her eyes. I tried to explain to her that the medicine will help her eyes feel a whole lot better but she wasn't buying it...until today. Her eyes look much, much better and they feel better too because she's no longer complaining about the drops. I'm just hoping that the other kids don't get it. We tried to get some close-ups but she kept closing her eyes on me. You can tell from the pictures we took when my friend Jenn was here that she has swelling under her eye (sorry, Jenn, that your kids were definitely exposed!) The hardest part for Savannah, other than the drops, was that she had to miss school on Wednesday. She cried and cried but seemed to understand that it wasn't a good thing to expose her friends to this. Thank goodness there was no school Thursday and Friday so she only missed one day of school for double pink eye.

2 comments:

Sal Gal said...

Ouch...that stuff is NASTY! It is always rampant at school. Last time we went to Hawaii Chris picked it right before we left and spent the first 2 days in the room--until we finally went to a clinic to get the drops. I hope that doesn't happen this time! I am sad she had to miss her party at school. Do they have a costume parade?

The Clark Family said...

Poor little Savannah! And now I hear Xander has it. Your poor family! Hopefully it won't come full circle and infect you and Noah! I love you guys!